2018-08-06 Day 8 –Explore Red Bay, Pinware, and West Saint Modeste


Had a great night’s sleep, super quiet and nice and dark. The trouble with a tent – is you see all the outside light – so I liked that. Even when the sun woke me around 6AM, I just rolled over and snoozed for a while. Nice lazy start to the day. Cooked a nice breakfast, drank a pot of coffee, cleaned up (yea – nice clean showers – I like that a lot), and then off to explore.

Drove back the 10- 15 km to Red Bay for a look around. Saw a sign for a walking trail up “Tracey Hill” – and off I went. Wow – a bit of a “stairmaster” routine. The trail is a very nice boardwalk about 1.5 km long – and I have no idea how much you climb – but it is mostly stairs and it is a long climb. I was foggy over the ocean – so the views were good – but I bet they are spectacular on a clear day.

After the walk, I drove around the town and spotted a little restaurant called “Whale Watch” (or something like that. Wow – best fish and chips in a long time. I think the cod was still swimming yesterday – and both the wish and the chips were cooked perfectly.

Back down to Pinware, and had a look around that town. A couple of nice ocean views, but nothing spectacular to report.

Then, I drove over to West Saint Modeste. Got a nice view of the old lighthouse that I can see from my campsite. Drove just past town – and found another walking trail. The signs indicate you can follow that trail all the way down to Blanc-Sablon – where the ferry is – about 50km I think. Needless to say, I did not do all of it! I did walk down it about 0.5 km and got another really nice ocean view.

So, I turned and headed back to the campsite. Stopped at a store and got beer and ice – and here I sit. A really nice relaxing day. With the setup and tear-down of a campsite – I really do like having a day off every couple of days.

Weather last night and today has been good. Forecast for tonight is also good – so that will make packing up in the morning easy. The forecast for my time on the island is still not looking good – but hey – the forecast for today sucked – and it has been good – so maybe I will catch a break.

The above notes from the afternoon of the 6th – once I get some bandwidth and upload photos – I will finish this entry.















Comments

Popular posts from this blog

2018-08-05 Day 7 – Lots of Gravel –Nice Day – Made it to Pinware River Provincial Park

2018-08-04 Day 6 - Being A Tourist in Happy Valley - Goose Bay